Re: Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 13:02 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 03:12 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > On 28 January 2014 18:43, Przemek Klosowski <przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > There are two separate issues here: 'abandonment', and 'GUIness'. As to the
> > > latter, I think it's a mistake to have a primary application installation
> > > tool that only deals with GUI apps, because it relegates text-based tools,
> > > such as 'units', to a second-class status of being hard to find and to
> > > install.
> > That's not the tool we've designed and built. We've built a GUI
> > application installer, not a package installer.
> [sorry fo the delayed answer---I got wrapped up and had this draft
> sitting open for two weeks]
>
> While it's not the fault of the installer,  I am concerned about that
> distinction. For better or worse, a lot of useful tools seem to be out
> of scope for a 'GUI application installer'. GCC, perl, git, octave, R,
> units, mysql/sqlite3,  this kind of thing. It doesn't even make sense
> to shoehorn them into GUI app world by embedding them in terminals,
> because their natural environment is command-line interaction.
>
> The emphasis on GUI is great, but it should enhance rather than
> deprecate the old-style interactive command model that arguably is the
> core idea in Unix. Your tool, while improving the GUI app experience,
> could also support non GUI software---or at least not completely
> ignore its existence. I do get it that there is a class of GUI users
> that need to see a window with buttons and help, and non-GUI apps
> simply baffle them with a blinking command prompt, at best. OTOH, I
> believe there should be a setting in the installer about that, "do not
> show me commandline software". I believe that it should be off by
> default, but maybe I am wrong about that.
>
> Do you really think it's impossible?

Do you actually want to use a tool like Software to install gcc?

I just can't see why you would. You know gcc is what you want. You don't
need a shiny description and some screenshots and user reviews on a 1-5
star scale. 'yum install gcc' seems a massively better fit. Who would it
benefit to have something like gcc in Software?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey