Re: Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 05:07:16PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Also possibly correct.  However, that doesn't preclude the repos as we
> know them today from still existing, with still the same quality.

Server, desktop or embedded board, in today's Fedora it's all the same,
just with a different package set installed. People (not all, obviously)
consider this a good thing. I just have to put a minimal Fedora install
on some machine and then build it from there.

That's what Tom was getting at, I think. The discussions in the WGs so
far have hinted that it's not necessarily a reasonable expectation that
this will continue to be the case. An oft-cited reason was that RPMs
apparently can't provide the 'integration' that is somehow wanted.

I always considered it nice that there's only a single Fedora. I thought
that split products were mostly an artefact of commercial
differentiation and so Fedora users don't have to deal with "you can't
use this filesystem unless you have the Ultra Enterprise Storage
Edition" or stuff like that. ☺