Re: Inter-WG coordination: Stable application runtimes

On fim 19.des 2013 14:40, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In case of 3 you would never update an container you would replace it with a
new container ( or App image rather ) which contains the update/upgrade and
delete the old container or in case of Gnome with a new "App image" If I
understood Alexander correctly at that BOF at guadec.
How would one _in practice_ do that?

The configuration files as well as the application data used by the application is stored outside the container and would be accessed through a "portal".

  What tools are available?

None that I'm aware of at this point in time.

  Would
each third party have to individually backport security patches?
Would they?

That depends if an container spawned on the OS or desktop layer and would reuse what already exist and is provided in the system vs what would be an isolated application stack which by itself would provide everything necessary for it to run.

In the case of the latter I would think that they would have to release a new updated image to deploy

It seems Fedora Server needs similar functionality just as well: we can't have long-term installations without either a LTS or providing stable application runtimes.

Right.

JBG