Re: Inter-WG coordination: Stable application runtimes

On mið 18.des 2013 16:17, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
Containers are primarily an isolation mechanism; not a way to install,
update or deploy software.

Right

   "Just use containers" shifts the problem
to "how do I update the container" which is at least as complex
(because now the tools need to peek "into" the container in addition
to working on the primary file system).

So let's break this down you have 3 types of containers

1. OS Container
2. Host application containers
3. Standalone application containers ( 3rd party apps )

In case of 1 and 2 you use the standard installation tools either directly or wrapped in chroot command

In case of 3 you would never update an container you would replace it with a new container ( or App image rather ) which contains the update/upgrade and delete the old container or in case of Gnome with a new "App image" If I understood Alexander correctly at that BOF at guadec.

Personally I think we should entirely drop any notion of implementing software collection in Fedora on rpm bases ( could be implemented as standalone app image ) since we dont need it RHEL does [1] and go directly looking at implementing Alexander's proposal regarding app images.

JBG

1. http://developerblog.redhat.com/2013/01/28/software-collections-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux/