Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime ?

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 14:31 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 12:13 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>         > I have tested gnome-software to see the current state,
>         compaired to
>         > gpk in F19, there is a lot stuff there cant be done.
>         >
>         >
>         > 1. You cant install backgrounds / icons
>

>         It is an application installer, first and foremost. Installing
>         backgrounds/icons/themes is not a priority. That being said,
>         3.11 can
>         install fonts and codecs.
>

> I know that it is an application installer, but user want to install
> content also
> and gpk can do that, so it is a regression in my world.

'Regression' does not really apply. gnome-software is not aiming to be a
1-1 replacement for gpk-application. Wrt to backgrounds, I would say
that installing them in packages is really suboptimal, and we should
look for ways to make backgrounds from online sources show up in the
background panel.

> I know Richard has pushed hard to get appdata for apps, but it do help
> the
> end user, if lot of apps in gnome-software dont have any descriptions.
>

> Look at System -> File Tools -> Caja-actions configuration tool

Get the cinnamon guys to fork the nautilus appdata ? I'm sure it will
only need minor adjustments... :-)

> Personal it is not a problem for me, but I would like Fedora to be as
> good as possible for new users, so i took some time to install the
> gnome desktop and check the state of thing
> and report the issues I have found.

Thanks for doing that. Your feedback is appreciated!