Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime ?

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 12:13 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> I have tested gnome-software to see the current state, compaired to
> gpk in F19, there is a lot stuff there cant be done.
>

> 1. You cant install backgrounds / icons

It is an application installer, first and foremost. Installing
backgrounds/icons/themes is not a priority. That being said, 3.11 can
install fonts and codecs.

> 2. Not all application found in the menu, can be found under
> installed, you can search for them and find them, but cant remove them
> (ex. Document viewer)

What menu ? And what application ?

We have a notion of 'core app' - for things that 'come with the OS'. We
don't allow to uninstall those.

> 3. if you search for 'icons' you get at lot of wrong positives, where
> there is no visible relation to icons in the text shown

Search looks at keywords from desktop files in addition to descriptions
and names. Would be good to see some concrete examples of the false
positives you get. I only get gnome-tweak-tool and some icon-related
font.

> 4. Description is missing from almost every application.

Richard has pushed very hard for getting descriptions upstream - you may
have seen his repeated posts on this topic. And we have made quite a bit
of progress. But getting every application equipped with a good
description, screenshots, and other metadata will take some time, and
some help from the packagers and maintainers of those applications.

> I think the current state will make Fedora look limitted for new
> Fedora users.

Compared to Ubuntu, certainly. But compared to gpk-application F19, I
don't think so.