Re: communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

On 21 October 2013 07:52, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 01:42:37AM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> A few years ago we've been much better at talking about things and
> coming to a conclusion. Nowadays I have the feeling "the community"
> is fragmented too much. With some people avoiding mailing-lists like
> the plague, some people lurking on IRC only, other people preferring
> web based forums, others addressing topics in personal blogs or during
> hallway meetings (and similar face-to-face situations).

I have this same feeling. I think we need to fix it; do you have any
thoughts or ideas as to how?

Don't we have this same conversation every two years? With pretty much the same questions and feeling of disconnectedness? We fix a couple of things, and then get back to doing stuff and then wake up and go "where did everyone go?"  [I know we have had this almost exact conversation back in 2009 and almost the same in 2011. I remember something similar in 2007. It may happen more often than that but I remember those more clearly.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.