Re: Atlas update

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:44:50 -0600
Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/13/2013 06:26 AM, Susi Lehtola wrote:
> > So, if you remove LAPACK from ATLAS, you'll also prevent compiling
> > LAPACK dependent packages against ATLAS.
> >

> I think you can do -latlas -llapack.

Yes, but this is because currently -llapack -latlas uses the ATLAS
version of the LAPACK library... which is very ugly:

$ find /usr/lib64/atlas -type f
/usr/lib64/atlas/libf77blas.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/libatlas.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/libptcblas.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/libclapack.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/libptf77blas.so.3.0
/usr/lib64/atlas/libcblas.so.3.0

This is in addition to the library provided by the LAPACK package:
/usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3.4.2

Ideally, ATLAS would only ship a single library containing everything,
much the same way OpenBLAS does.

> The problem with the current
> atlas is that it wants the lapack *source* not just the library as
> the current version did.  It would been a bundling exception.  Might
> be okay since lapack doesn't change much, probably not many security
> concerns.

This is probably something that can be patched out. I had to do the
same thing for OpenBLAS.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor