Re: Atlas update

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:16:46 +0200
Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Atlas currently bundles Lapack. I want to update Atlas to 3.10.1 and
> unbundle Lapack as well. This will require rebuild of dependent
> packages and maybe adding explicit dependency on Lapack.
>
> Would anyone object to that?

ATLAS doesn't really bundle LAPACK, since it uses the static library
from the Fedora LAPACK package. But yes, it does duplicate the
libraries in binary form.

I'd think twice about debundling. For instance OpenBLAS actually
replaces some LAPACK routines with more efficient implementations, and
because of this OpenBLAS also includes a bunch functions from the
lapack package.

So, please check with ATLAS upstream whether you can safely unbundle
LAPACK.

> If I understand things correctly, Lapack in Fedora uses Atlas and not
> its own Blas implementation.

Yes and no. The LAPACK library you get from the blas package doesn't
contain any BLAS routines, so you can in principle choose what
BLAS library you want to use it with.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor