Re: Atlas update

On 09/13/2013 06:26 AM, Susi Lehtola wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:24:28 +0300
Susi Lehtola <jussilehtola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:16:46 +0200
Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Atlas currently bundles Lapack. I want to update Atlas to 3.10.1
and unbundle Lapack as well. This will require rebuild of dependent
packages and maybe adding explicit dependency on Lapack.

I'd think twice about debundling. For instance OpenBLAS actually
replaces some LAPACK routines with more efficient implementations, and
because of this OpenBLAS also includes a bunch functions from the
lapack package.

So, please check with ATLAS upstream whether you can safely unbundle
LAPACK.

Actually, this is stated pretty clearly on the ATLAS page:
  "At present, it provides C and Fortran77 interfaces to a portably
  efficient BLAS implementation, as well as a few routines from LAPACK."

So, if you remove LAPACK from ATLAS, you'll also prevent compiling
LAPACK dependent packages against ATLAS.

I think you can do -latlas -llapack. The problem with the current atlas is that it wants the lapack *source* not just the library as the current version did. It would been a bundling exception. Might be okay since lapack doesn't change much, probably not many security concerns.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx