Re: fedmsg for voting?

On 09/11/2013 05:00 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

On Sep 10, 2013 8:20 PM, "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 > On 09/11/2013 12:00 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:

 >> I think the benefit of encouraging more participation through voting
is a
 >> reasonable tradeoff for this particular bit of information (voted in a
 >> particular election, possibly chosing no candidates). I do think we
need to
 >> disclose it.
 >>
 >> Do you feel strongly enough about this that you would refrain from
voting in
 >> Fedora elections? (Serious question.)
 >
 > Yes. Votes must be entirely anonymous, as well as their must be no
records nor metadata records allowing conclusions about whether an
individual has participated in an election.

Just for comparison purposes:

- a record of whether an individual voted must be kept to prevent an
individual voting multiple times.
Sure. German data privacy laws demand such records be destroyed immediately after the elections.

 All current and past fedora election
software has had this information and kept it private.
Have these been deleted/permanently destroyed? If no, in the ages of the NSA scandal, keeping such records is hardly acceptable to anybody (outside of the US).

- a record of who voted for what has been kept since this feature was
implemented: fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/30
<http://fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/30> in 2009.  All election
software that recorded this information has kept the information private.
You'd go to jail in Germany, if this SW was used for official elections.

Again, I have to emphasize it: The NSA scandal has fundamentally changed the situation. What was tolerable in the past, isn't anymore.

Ralf