Re: Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

On Mon, 09.09.13 19:42, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

On Wed, 21.08.13 18:45, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

And I have come across a bit of scalability issue due to us
defaulting to using short hostnames in login and command prompt when
creating OS containers in any real numbers.
I am pretty sure we should continue to default to "short" hostnames,
i.e. not fqdns.
I am pretty sure we should not since continuing to use short
hostname is the worst option of them all since it collides with
other "short" hostnames on your network.
So, then tell me. Which fixed fqdn shall I assign to my laptop then? The
laptop moves around all the time, connects to different networks, so
which is the right fqdn? And no, I am not changing the hostname all the
time...

You dont your gnome terminal header as well as other desktop application should present you with the pretty hostname you set on your laptop.

Johann, they are called laptops.

This proposal is not about laptops or tablets or general desktop use cases but about sane server defaults

JBG