Re: Builder update

On 08/28/2013 06:35 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:22:57 +0300
Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hum... a question, or perhaps more like two:

Are you planning to move the remaining RHEL-6 builders to Fedora too,
and if so, is this (builders running on Fedora ~latest) going to be a
permament arrangement?

Quite possibly. Left is a pair of buildhw (hardware builders), buildppc
(power7 boxes, mostly for epel6), and bkernel (kernel and secureboot
builders). We are going to look and see if those can be moved over too
without pain.

yeah, I think the plan is to do this moving forward (Fedora latest that
is).

Awesome. Just awesome.

If the answer to both is "yes" then this is wonderful news for the
package-management department.

It's good for infrastructure as well, in that we don't need to carry
any 'special' rpm or anything if we need to change formats or the like.

From package-management POV this makes it *possible* to meaningfully introduce certain types of new features. The builders being stuck on several years old, practically frozen version of rpm (and yum etc) has been one of, or perhaps *the* biggest roadblock and demotivating aspect in rpm development:

1) implement installation-related feature X in upstream git
2) wait for it to make its way next stable upstream release
3) wait for the upstream release to make its way into Fedora
4) grow many more gray hairs while waiting for next major RHEL version
5) wait a bit more for the builders to move to the new RHEL
6) wait for the feature to be sanctioned for use in Fedora by FPC
7) wait for packagers to start adopting the new thing
8) realize there's a flaw in X, hindering or even preventing its real-world usage
9) pray and beg for approval to fix it in RHEL
10) wait at least half a year for the next RHEL update to come out

For a practical example of the timescale of this "process" as things have been so far: opt-in install-time macro-expansion of scriptlets was implemented upstream in March 2010 and has been in Fedora since F15. Yet this relatively trivial thing *still* cannot be actually used in any version of Fedora, and nobody knows (or would not be allowed to say) when RHEL+1 comes out, so after 3.5 years from implementing the stupid thing, we're only at step 4) with an unknown (but in any case lengthy) time before being anywhere near 7).

So if people are still wondering why rpm moves at such glacial pace...

Having builders run Fedora latest-stable cuts the time from implementation to being deployable (or at least real-world testable) in Fedora literally by *years*, and the turn-around for steps 8-11 from months to days.

Let me say AWESOME one more time :)

Of course it does mean we could run into breakage if there's breakage
in Fedora land, but thats good to know and fix too.

Yes, dogfooding on the builders can IMO only be a good thing for overall stability of Fedora, even if it might initially cause some extra hickups. Breaking the builders a couple of times and getting scolded for that ought to make people think a bit more about pushing potentially destabilizing updates :)

	- Panu -