Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Am 24.07.2013 13:11, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Mon, 22.07.13 19:33, Reindl Harald (h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Am 22.07.2013 18:29, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>>> If you want to centralize system configuration, rather then services,
>>> then go ahead and do, that, but actually centralize *the configuration*,
>>> not the service. In particular, because a centralized client-side SMTP
>>> service is a really questionnable thing on today's Internet where SMTP
>>> delivery connections are almost always authenticated by a *user* id
>>
>> which could be *easy* solved by ask the users SMTP and credentials
>> at the installation, setup /etc/aliases as default forwarding the
>> messages to this address and configure SASL authentication
>
> The second part of my mail that you conveniently removed actually
> explains why that doesn't work: because the SASL auth is inherently
> per-user configuration but in sendmail you can configure it only
> globally for the client side.
>
> There is a major mismatch between per-user credentials which you need
> for SMTP SASL and the per-system instance of sendmail

says who?

i doubt that sendmail can not do the same as postfix
if it is so the proposal should be switch to postfix as default MTA

hence i have *infrastructure wide* SASL-sender/relayhost-maps
in a global mysql-database feeded with a simple self developed
php interface and each single sender can be configured to
use a specific realyhost with specific credentials

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#sender_dependent_relayhost_maps
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_password_maps