Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 06:53:24PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> What makes cron and smtpd work well together is that they both perform
> async background computing. And many cron messages are not "logs" they're
> notifications of an event the cron is polling for, or submission of job
> results.

Honest, non-loaded question here. Do you really find them default cron
output mode helpful? You suggested earlier that I dislike cron's e-mail
output, and while I hadn't brought up likes or dislikes before, I really
don't find it so great. To me, it just fills up my mailbox with:

   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> ionice -c3 run-parts /etc/cro
   Jul 02 Anacron            Anacron job 'cron.daily' on bigcomputer.home.
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> ionice -c3 run-parts /etc/cro
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@wumpus> ionice -c3 run-parts /etc/
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@resonance> /opt/seas/sbin/sync-NIS
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <masher@releng03> TMPDIR=`mktemp -d /tmp
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> /etc/15m.local
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> /etc/15m.local
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> /etc/15m.local
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> /etc/15m.local
   Jul 02 Cron Daemon        Cron <root@hpc> ionice -c3 run-parts /etc/cro

If I did want e-mail output -- which I used to, before I had proper alerting
set up, so as I mentioned before I totally recognize that use case -- I
really would like it with a meaningful subject line, which means even when
running out of cron, the jobs should actually call sendmail or /usr/bin/mail
directly with pretty-formatted output. (And thus, have an explicit
dependency on an MTA, and also basically have the expectation that they're
running on a system which will be properly configured for its environment,
however that happens.)

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>