Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Wed, 17.07.13 12:09, John.Florian@xxxxxxxx (John.Florian@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > From: notting@xxxxxxxxxx

> /usr/sbin/sshd”.
> > >
> > > Yes, but that's of little help with applications using interpreted
> > > languages (e.g., python).  I want to match on the name of the python
> > > program, not python itself.
> >
> > journalctl _COMM=<blah> works for me on F19.
>
> As it does for me, but somewhere it got clipped that what I was
> asking/wishing for was a convenient -C option (like ps) to do just this,
> much like -u equates to _SYSTEMD_UNIT.

The kernel clips that. The process name field in the kernel is limited
to 16 chars.

Note that there is Tab completion for _COMM, hence I don't think the
truncation thing is really that annoying: after all the shell will
auto-complete stuff to the right number of chars anyway if you just type
in a few.

I am a bit reluctant to adding more and more high-level options like
"-u" unless there's some major advantage in it. For "-u" there is,
because the filter will also actually look for a unit name in quite a
few fields, not just in _SYSTEMD_UNIT= (see Zbyszek's mail about
that). Also, "-u" will do unit name normalization, i.e. automatically
append the ".service" suffix for you if you omit and stuff.

If you can suggest something similarly powerful that -C would to, then I
am all ears, but the truncation thing doesn't really convince me too
much I must say...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.