Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 01:37:14PM -0500, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 08:09:27PM +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > Could you be more specific as to what you would like to see changed?
> > systemctl uses the the pager in long outputs like list-units, and
> > it is the same pager that journalctl uses.
>
> On Fedora 18, I see lines truncated in the middle with "..." and it
> drives me crazy because there's no way to scroll to get the missing
> information.  For example, just running "systemctl" with no arguments
> gives insanely truncated output.  The other emails in this thread
> implied that journalctl doesn't do this truncation, which sounds like a
> huge improvement.
Yes, this is still the case, that plain 'systemctl' truncates unit
names.  It's a tough choice, but in this specific case it's hard to
find a format that would work without truncation. There are two fields
with potentially very long values (unit name and unit description). We
can let the second one flow in the right side, but if we left the first
one in full width, on normal terminal width of ~100 columns, even this
*first* column would not fit. And the truth is that the units which
are usually truncated are the device units (they tend to have the longest
names), and they are not the most interesting usually. So in this case
truncation makes it much nicer to look at the interesting .service
and .target units. Truncation has been removed from a few other places,
but in this case it just doesn't seem feasible.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk