Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Brendan Conoboy <blc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 10:41 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Kernel, glibc, all the core library stacks. And I would argue that yes,
>> this
>> *includes* libGL. So llvmpipe needs fixed, outside of any desktops.
>> Should
>> we define the core functionality better? Probably.
>

> I would argue that it does not include libGL because it's not a requirement
> for headless deployment scenarios.  Why would you argue for it?

I would argue that it's nothing to do with headless scenarios but more
that the vast majority of ARM GPUs support GL-ES which is a
sub/different standard of desktop GL (sorry, I'm not a graphics
programming expert!) and the support for that in mesa and in general
is terrible. There was a proposal to refactor mesa and when I spoke to
ajax (I think, sorry ajax if it wasn't you) or someone it wasn't
basically moving forward upstream at the moment. I'm not sure who
originally was driving this (my google fu doesn't give me the mailing
list proposal ATM).

Peter