Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On 07/11/2013 03:55 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
I will note that it is not x86 alone.  If one is simply going by "as
close to the current Fedora experience the current Primary offers",
then the PowerPC secondary arch team is actually ahead of ARM.  I'm
not saying they are a better candidate, but I am pointing out that the
criteria Matthew is alluding to is being met by non-x86 architectures.

I'm not up-to-date on the current condition of Power: Are you specifically referring to GNOME & KDE? If so I'd posit that this is because GNOME & KDE make a lot more sense on Power than they do on ARM. Developer energy goes where it's needed & wanted. Prior to this discussion nobody was lamenting the state of gnome on their low power ARM system. We're still building them of course- all the GNOME and KDE packages are built, they're just not getting used AFAIK.

I don't believe that is true.  ARM is useful, I want it to be a
Primary arch, but I fail to see how your middle ground below of having
it be primary in the build system is going to somehow grow Fedora.  I
believe there are concerns that it will place additional burden on
package maintainers (like ppc did before there was a real arch team
for it), and that those concerns are valid.

Are those concerns valid? By what measure? Can they be controverted by evidence? Thus far we have pro and con anecdotes.

And yet did not include any of that information in your proposal.  I
believe build times have improved.  I also believe that you should
show it in the proposal so that it is clear you are addressing prior
concerns.  I'm appreciate the effort spent to speed up the kernel
build times, but the concern is global.  Show the work done in the
proposal with some simple numbers.

These are good suggestions- thanks for that.

Again, I would like to see ARM as Primary and I believe the ARM team
has done a rather good job.  Promoting anything to Primary has never
been done before, so bear with us as we work through it.

Absolutely. Change is hard, but if all goes well this one will be popular in hindsight :-)

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx