Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:23:50 -0700
Brendan Conoboy <blc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/11/2013 03:55 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > I will note that it is not x86 alone.  If one is simply going by "as
> > close to the current Fedora experience the current Primary offers",
> > then the PowerPC secondary arch team is actually ahead of ARM.  I'm
> > not saying they are a better candidate, but I am pointing out that
> > the criteria Matthew is alluding to is being met by non-x86
> > architectures.
>
> I'm not up-to-date on the current condition of Power: Are you
> specifically referring to GNOME & KDE?  If so I'd posit that this is
> because GNOME & KDE make a lot more sense on Power than they do on
> ARM. Developer energy goes where it's needed & wanted.  Prior to this
> discussion nobody was lamenting the state of gnome on their low power
> ARM system.  We're still building them of course- all the GNOME and
> KDE packages are built, they're just not getting used AFAIK.

I actually switched my chromebook over to KDE and used it on my
trimslice quite extensively. during the f19 cycle.

> > I don't believe that is true.  ARM is useful, I want it to be a
> > Primary arch, but I fail to see how your middle ground below of
> > having it be primary in the build system is going to somehow grow
> > Fedora.  I believe there are concerns that it will place additional
> > burden on package maintainers (like ppc did before there was a real
> > arch team for it), and that those concerns are valid.
>
> Are those concerns valid?  By what measure?  Can they be controverted
> by evidence?  Thus far we have pro and con anecdotes.
>
> > And yet did not include any of that information in your proposal.  I
> > believe build times have improved.  I also believe that you should
> > show it in the proposal so that it is clear you are addressing prior
> > concerns.  I'm appreciate the effort spent to speed up the kernel
> > build times, but the concern is global.  Show the work done in the
> > proposal with some simple numbers.

i will look at throwing together a script to give us some comparisons
between the build times on the different arches.