Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:37:00PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Sometimes it happen to me, that I'm fixing totally borked computer.
> > And I have available only what is in memory - because HDD with /usr
> > crashed, but machine is still running (and /var is readable) and
> > with vt open. (BTW - coincidently it happened to me just one month
> > ago).
> > If I want to read last messages, I could not start journactl, but I
> > can read /var/log/messages with bash builtins.
> Well, assuming that bash is entirely in memory. And also, note that
> neither cat, nor cp, nor tail are actually bash builtins and will not
> work. It's pretty hard (though certainly possible) viewing files with
> just bash builtins.
> But anyway, this is quite anecdotal.

Even in less extreme situations than this, it's a fair point that often one
can't run binaries from the system where you need to look at the logs, and
needing special tools (rather than just any viewer or editor) to analyze
those logs _is_ increased pain. Now you need a systemd-aware rescue image,
not just a tinylinux livecd that's kicking around the server room.

Soo....

> Note that we do include journalctl on all our livecds. Also, most
> distributions do include it in some way or another, and you do not need
> to boot systemd to use to it access your journal files.

Yeah. Let's put this in the release notes.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>