Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 12:14 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> xterm has been part of the distribution for years also, but it's not a
> >> release requirement.
> >
> > The assumption has always been that all primary architectures embody the
> > same level of functionality, with the exception of fundamental
> > differences between the architectures. If things that are currently
> > supported by the primary architectures cease to be supported by the
> > primary architectures, that's a strong argument that they're not
> > fundamental to Fedora. For example, in the absence of hardware nx
> > support, I wouldn't argue that ARM should be forced to implement
> > execshield - both because it's fundamentally tied to 32-bit x86, and
> > because we've given up on supporting it. But yes, if ARM wanted to ship
> > without xterm while the other primary architectures supported it, I'd
> > say that that would be a blocker for shipping ARM as a primary
> > architecture.
>
> I think assumption is part of the problem here, you're assuming
> something that is different to the assumption of others but as it's
> not documented anywhere it means that neither opinion is neither right
> nor wrong.

It may be useful to ground this discussion. As I read it, the official
definition of a primary architecture reads:

"Primary Architectures : These are architectures with the majority of
the users, the most common architectures. Build failures on these
architectures are fatal: no packages push to the repositories if they
fail to build for a primary architecture. To put it simply: These are
the architectures for which Fedora will delay a release if they are not
functional. Fedora package maintainers are required to make sure that
their package builds properly for this architecture (or is properly
ExcludeArch'd)."

Nothing about required functionality there. The page couches the
difference strictly in terms of importance to the package building
system and package push process.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#Primary_Architectures
--
Adam Williamson