Re: Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 17:07 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:09:57PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > > On the other hand, having NetworkManager available all the time enables
> > > things like management tools to use its API to query system status,
> > > instead of guessing it from kernel information and heuristic analysis of
> > > some files under /etc.
> >
> > Exactly.  And that's why we want to enhance NetworkManager to make
> > people *want* to use it instead of turning it off.
>
> Features I am missing are:
>
> - A possibility to make NM ignore an interface from the management
>   tools, which would allow to normally use NM but disable it if one
>   wants to configure a device on the command line. Having to disable
>   interfaces from /etc/sysconfig to be able to use them without NM
>   interfering makes it more cumbersome to use NM at all.

Instead of the previous "unmanaging" of interfaces, future NM will
simply handle changes made underneath it with /sbin/ip or anything else
by listening to kernel notifications.

> - Support NM not interfering with Wi-Fi attack tools such as
>   aircrack-ng, which might only be possible by ignoring the device
>   completely or by adding support to change devices into monitor mode
>   and select static of changing frequencies etc. Probably the features
>   airmon-ng provides would be necessary.

While not very smooth experience, NM will ignore them if you kill
wpa_supplicant.

> - Allow to create tun/tap devices, especially persisted ones with
>   permissions for users

Support for externally created tun/tap/gre/macvlan/macvtap/veth was
added last month, and if you have an ifcfg file with the interface's
name, NM can apply/clear the IP configuration on your command.  At some
point in the near future NM will be able to create all these too.

Dan