Re: F18 => F19 update adventures

On 06/11/2013 06:38 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

> What do administrators have to do to prevent being migrated from mysql to mariadb on upgrades?

If you would prefer to use community-mysql rather than follow onto MariaDB I suspect the safest thing would be take a backup (you do that anyway right?) and just doing this from the filesystem is probably the simplest way.

Then use a supported method to upgrade to F19 ... Either remove mysql before this or remove mariadb after this.

For the first we should not be migrating users on upgrades to another DB solution regardless if it's an fork or not of the already installed DB and we continue to ship it, secondly if we *must* do that ( which is it is not in this case since we are continuing to package and ship mysql ) we should have an opt out way for administrators to do so at upgrade time instead of having them to backtrack all the migration steps and revert them followed by them finally having to remove mariadb in this case an simply big fat warning presented at the end user during the upgrade phaze which offers him to opt out migration and continue to use MySQL...

JBG