Re: Question about "what to do if mantainer is absent"

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 19:09 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Sure, we have a scm-commits list as well. I don't read every commit,
> but I do skim them. I can think of lots of times people pointed out
> issues they saw in the commit messages.

Well I mean, someone actually has to press the OK button, or the change
doesn't happen. Sometimes that can cause delays, at least for big
undermanned projects (GNOME in openSUSE isn't too popular). But usually
it works really well.

I doubt that model would be accepted in Fedora, though. Different
cultures.

> You can even now also mention in your bug that you are a packager and
> would be willing to co-maintain. Not everyone would be interested, but
> I suspect a lot of maintainers would be happy for the help and would
> add you to make your change.

Yes, but I usually just want to submit the one fix and not co-maintain
-- we all help out as we're able. :)

Plus I mainly use GNOME programs, and GNOME maintainership in Fedora
seems to be something of an exclusive cabel anyway (can't complain --
Fedora has the best GNOME, period).

> > We already use git, so the simple solution with minimal change to the
> > status quo is to leave the maintainership model as-is and add pull
> > requests.  (That said I'm not advocating this as I have zero Fedora
> > packaging experience; I'm just trying to get this conversation off the
> > ground.)

> Well, you can already do this, but perhaps not as automated and nice as
> github. You can attach a patch to a bug, no?
>
> kevin
Yes, but that doesn't work well when the person assigned to your bug has
800 other bugs to deal with. I count four people with that many. And Red
Hat Bugzilla is actually the *best* open source bugzilla I use, very
clean and well-organized, and seems to work great when maintainers have
few packages, but this is slightly broken.

I've seen "this program is completely broken, here's an 8-line patch"
sit for two months; "this program segfaults, here is an upstream patch"
sit about that long; "this package is missing one essential Requires"
sit for three. The big name GNOME packagers are awesome, but not enough
to deal with that many bugs, that many emails. But 20 pull requests
where all that needs to be done is press OK... that's more manageable.

(That's not the only solution, of course; more Bugzilla-foo would work
just as well. Emails to this list of unreviewed patches more than two
weeks old, for example.)

Just dumping thoughts. Happy Tuesday!