Re: Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

On 02/16/2013 01:10 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:00:38PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's all going to depend on what we want the upgrade experience to be like
for people going from f18 to f19.  I believe that FESCo punted it down the
road since there wasn't an actual MySQL package maintainer at the time we
decided to accept the Feature (just potential ones).

The feature page that was approved explicitly says
In Fedora 19, MariaDB packages obsoletes MySQL. That means that all packages of MySQL will be automatically replaced by corresponding MariaDB pacakges during update.
    Mirek

but we talked about this in the fesco meeting and decided that we're doing a
versioned Obsolete.  So if a newer mysql package were to be built, it would
no longer be obsoleted.  Like I say, my impression is that we deferred the
question of what our desired outcome would be if that happened since there
wasn't sure to be a mysql packager yet (and still isn't I guess... although
we're getting closer to seeing one show up :-)

-Toshio

MariaDB currently uses "Obsoletes: mysql < 5.6-0" in F19, because if we used current version (e.g. "Obsoletes: mysql < 5.5.30") then as soon as mysql-5.5.31 comes it would mean even much more mess. Actually, it also reflects where MariaDB stays from features & quality POV -- somewhere between mysql-5.5 and mysql-5.6.

Honza