Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On 09/02/13 01:03 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Last I checked, GDM also hid that feature so well that many users missed
>> it. In fact, unless this changed recently, when you input your user name,
>> the option is NOT shown, it only appears after you confirm your user
>> name, during the password prompt.
>
> Well, yes, that's true. How does that count as 'well hidden'? It's not
> like you can login without entering your password.

I call it "well hidden" because real users have come complaining to
#fedora-kde claiming GDM "does not support" running anything other than
GNOME, and when I explained how to find it, they said they had completely
missed that and rightfully complained about how hard to find it was.

Of course, as the GDM developers only ever linger on GNOME-centric chans,
they never get these user complaints, so they keep congratulating themselves
on the "great improved" UI. Several people on #fedora-kde see this UI as a
way to push the agenda of making users not even realize there's an
alternative to GNOME.

        Kevin Kofler