Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

On 01/29/2013 04:32 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
In a Fedora context, when you do this it's because the old motherboard
failed unexpectedly, you bought a new one. It's a great relief to see
plugging the old drive on the new mobo just works. There is no prep in
advance and old and new mobo have several years of difference so disk or
network controllers have nothing in common.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to optimize away such robustness.

To be honest I found myself doing this sort of swap a lot more in the past when hardware was less reliable and I was more inclined to cobble systems together with parts found lying around the place: in those days the initrd was host-specific by default and I didn't find it a headache - much less of a headache than loading something with all the modules included on each boot.

Maybe on modern hosts that's less of a concern for many users though (although I do see noticeable pauses during initramfs loading on quite a few systems with default configs).

I've been switching this setting on my boxes since dracut first came in so I can carry on with or without the feature and it makes little difference.

Regards,
Bryn.