Re:

On 01/29/2013 03:45 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
I guess it was in the short while I switched to Ubuntu, because from my
memory I used to change hardware on my machines and always be extremely
happy at how Linux was resilient to hardware changes between boots and
automatically detected new hardware without the dreaded rescue mode.

I believe mkinitrd behaved this way before there was an Ubuntu so I'd be surprised (at least RHL7/8/9, probably earlier: I was just a user until RHL7 days).

The thing is that stuff in the initramfs only matters if you need it for booting.

Added a new sound card? Great! We'll get to it when we have a root fs. New network card? Well, as long as you're not trying to boot an iSCSI volume over it that shouldn't be a problem either etc.

Yes but is /boot space still an issue these days ?

Hard to say; it isn't for me but that's because I always make them large enough for my expected uses.

Do we still need a separate /boot at all ?

Yes afaik. There are still some device types that are problematic without it (do the boot loaders support native LUKS/dmcrypt now?).

Disks are huge these days.
And speed is still an issue with modern SSDs ?

I don't have any so I can't tell you but it should be easy enough to test. I wouldn't expect a massive improvement though.

This are the 2 cases I have in mind:
1. Machine breaks -> change motherboard -> boot breaks

This should not break your boot unless the storage adapters are wildly different (most things just use AHCI and are happy now).

2. Swap disk to other laptop -> boot breaks

Again, unless you have very different storage controllers this will not break.

I really don't want or need every FC HBA kernel module, firmware bin file or other junk in my laptop initramfs "just in case" I happen to swap the disk to a laptop with built-in fibre-channel :-).

If I was moving a disk to such radically different hardware I'd be able to prep it in advance (and I think that's 'advanced' enough that it's reasonable to expect a little user knowledge).

Regards,
Bryn.