Re: Orphaning libunwind

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Jiri Olsa <jolsa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > it will be configurable for both libunwind and elfutils unwinders,
>> > and making default the one with better results or available
>> >
>> > I should send upstream perf changes within this week
>>
>> Those won't make it into the kernel until 3.8 though.  So for 3.7, I'm
>> thinking we should just disable perf libunwind support entirely.  Once
>> elf-utils gets its unwinder and the patches for perf hit rawhide we can
>> turn it back on.
>
> currently if the libunwind is not found during build time, it's not compiled in

Yes, I'm aware of that.  At the moment, it is found because the library
is in Fedora.  However, I don't want to build 3.7 perf against a library
that is orphaned and clearly not really supported.  So I'm going to
disable it with NO_LIBUNWIND=1 and we can revisit perf with unwind
support for the 3.8 kernel when elf-utils is ready.

Basically, if something better is going to come along the next version
then I really don't see a reason to ship the already obsolete and
orphaned support today.

josh