Re: Orphaning libunwind

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:23:16 +0100, Mat Booth wrote:
>> Won't you need to retire it when elfutils obsoletes it?
>
> The development is not yet at that point, it may happen later:
>
> (1) elfutils needs to integrate it and get released first (January/February),
>     being worked on with Mark Wielaard:
>     https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/elfutils-devel/2012-November/thread.html
>
> $ repoquery -q --whatrequires libunwind --archlist x86_64
> libunwind-devel-0:1.0.1-4.fc18.x86_64
> perf-0:3.7.0-0.rc6.git4.1.fc19.x86_64
> gperftools-libs-0:2.0-7.fc18.x86_64
>
> (2) perf is being actively ported from libunwind API to elfutils API
>     with Jiri Olsa; but it is also not upstreamed yet:
>         git://git.jankratochvil.net/linux
>         unwind4-fix-cache

So are you not orphaning libunwind until that is merged into the
upstream kernel?

What about perf releases that support libunwind in older Fedora
releases?  Will you wait until all of those have been rebased?

If perf winds up getting stuck relying on an orphaned library for some
non-trivial amount of time, I'd rather just turn off libunwind support
in perf now.  It's only enabled in rawhide at the moment because it is
a 3.7 feature.  Before we bring 3.7 back to f17-f18, we should probably
decide.

josh