Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On 11/09/2012 03:27 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
Well, perhaps thing B shouldn't have been changed incompatibly in the
first place.  I realize that's an ideal that is impossible to achieve,
but we are rather cavalier about changing interfaces without adequate
notification.

I've been told that the F18 Anaconda work was for some time done on a
single rawhide snapshot; after ~2 months the snapshot was updated -
and it took weeks to get Anaconda working again against the new one.

That sounds rather bad.  Yes, anaconda is special, but it is not
_that_  special; if updating for core platform changes (without any
major known change happening in the mean time) requires weeks of work
on anaconda, there will be other software that will require weeks of
work to update.

You won't find much disagreement in the installer team. Fedora changes, and it changes fast, and it changes without a lot of notice, cooperation, or coordination. Anaconda suffers a lot because of this, and Fedora users/testers suffer a lot because Anaconda breaks a lot. We are often the advanced scout who first encounters a major change.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!