Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On 2012-11-09, 07:43 GMT, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It hasn't really 'skyrocketed'. We cited 512MB for several releases,
> bumped it to 768MB for F15/F16 (IIRC), got it back down to 512MB for
> F17, and it's back up to 768MB or 1GB for F18 atm because everyone has
> more important stuff to do than optimize the RAM usage right now. But
> it's not been rising crazily or anything. I think the last time someone
> took a deep look at RAM use during install - during F17 cycle when we
> got it back down to 512MB - it turned out a lot of the usage happened
> during package install and wasn't really to do with anaconda at all.

I understand and accept that now everybody in the anaconda-land is busy
with something else, but let it not slip our attention how absolutely
crazy it is when the installation program requires twice as much (or
more) of the resources than all programs running on the computer
combined. I have here a server with RHEL-6 which I had to upgrade to
512MB just to be able to install a system on it. Now it has plenty of
free RAM even with some bulky PHP apps (e.g., Zarafa) which is wasted.
With the spread of virtual machines, it seems to be even more obvious.
Wasn’t one of the advantages of VMs the fact that you can slice more
small machines on one computer?

Best,

Matěj