Re: Rawhide

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 18:32:20 -0600,
  Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Additionally, if some number of these folks who pledge to run rawhide
full time were provenpackagers we could just go in and fix things as
they hit (or soon after) instead of waiting a while for fixes to go
out.

I'm in proven packagers and have been using rawhide on my main desktop for a while. (Sometimes I follow branched, but I plan to use rawhide going forward.) That's what I use for day to day stuff at home.

- It's been suggested before, but could we practically keep N and N-1
 packages in rawhide repos? Then 'yum downgrade' becomes much more
 handy. Repodata size and mirror size might shoot that down though.

If you want that you can just enable them in addition. That can cause problems if versions in FN or FN-1 are higher than in rawhide. I have done that for a while this release to get gnome updates early.

- Anaconda folks haven't wanted rawhide installer images as they cause
 people to report bugs on things when not ready, etc. However, could
 we build nightly cloud images at least? Those could help test things
 and won't require hitting the installer path.

Once you are using rawhide, you generally don't do installs unless you specifically want to test them.

I really think if we get a pool of savvy folks running it day to day we
should at least be able to identify the pain points. In my experience
with my test machine, rawhide has been pretty boring for the last two
cycles, if we can continue to make it so, perhaps the rolling release
folks might be able to find it usable.

I get occasional kernel problems. Sometimes there are boot issues. When there are soname issues, I sometimes have to choose between running the current packages or uninstalling some things I use.

I had some theming issues not too long ago, but that affected both rawhide and branched, so I saw it on all of my machines.