Feature template update [was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule...]

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:24:52AM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> There are features and features... some of them are new versions of
> leafnode packages or a just bunch of new packages which nothing else
> depends on, and some of them affect *everything* in the distro.
> Perhaps the invasive changes should have a considerably earlier
> deadline, and if the deadline is not met then the feature would be
> "automatically" postponed to next release.

Right now, the Feature template has this sections:

  == Scope ==
  <!-- What work do the developers have to accomplish to complete the feature
  in time for release?  Is it a large change affecting many parts of the
  distribution or is it a very isolated change? What are those changes?-->

Maybe the explanation could be strengthened, and some "checkbox" options
added:

Choose one of:

 ☐ "This is a "leaf" feature adding new, stand-alone functionality.

 ☐ This feature brings new functionality which changes the default user
   experience for many users.

 ☐ This feature introduces changes which affect the user experience only in
   its own area.

Also, pick all that are relevant:

 ☐ This feature introduces broad change across the distribution requiring
   package changes from many contributors.

 ☐ If this feature is not 100% complete, there will be no regressions if
   packages built for it are shipped anyway.

 ☐ Once work on this feature passes a certain tipping point, it will be
   harder to revert than to go on.

And so on. (I can think of a few more offhand: "This feature will require a
mass rebuild", "This feature is likely to break Rawhide at some point in its
development", "This feature is a First, where Fedora is leading the
way"....)

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>