Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

On 10/31/2012 09:56 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
* Jesse Keating, Jeremy Katz, and others who helped shape the current policy
   and theory of our release schedule felt that the 6 month release cycle was
   fine but that certain features were going to take longer to develop.
   Those would need to be developed and not enter into Fedora until they were
   close enough that they could be completed during that cycle.
   - No matter what we do to try and increase the development cycle within
     a release, there's always going to be issues that take longer than the
     release that we need to deal with.  Perhaps, we just need to be better
     about making people follow this model.

I'm not entirely sure what I felt then, but I'm certainly open to a longer release cycle. In fact I'm very much in favor of one, one that puts more time between "feature complete" and the actual alpha release. All too often we see features crash land right at the deadline, and any software that has to integrate across a lot of pieces (like anaconda) gets stuck trying to account for all these changes in a very limited time frame, only to be hindered quickly by a freeze process.

I think we need to give developers more time for feature integration after the feature freeze.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk