Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 01:58:58PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > The group is already there, so it's not a big stretch, but I agree the
> > naming is confusing when used in this way. ("wheel" isn't exactly
> > straightforward either, but at least it's Traditional.)
> As I already mentioned: "adm" has been around for along time, and has
> been used in this context in Debian since about forever. We just adopted
> the same logic in systemd that already made sense on Debian for a long
> time.

Documented here:
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch12.en.html>

 adm: Group adm is used for system monitoring tasks. Members of this group
      can read many log files in /var/log, and can use xconsole.
      /Historically, var/log was /usr/adm (and later /var/adm), thus the
      /name of the group.

And as I mentioned, I don't mind making adm able to read the system messages
(assuming we address the authpriv issue and discuss and document the
change). It just should also use the wheel group to make sense with Fedora.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>