Re: Rawhide boot problems

Matthias Clasen (mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 11:54 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Fedora 18 is basically closed for new feature work, and instead the
> > focus needs to be on integration of the existing feature set and
> > bugfixes.  But as you state there is a large amount of time before F18
> > releases, which means new feature work would have to stall out for
> > months.  Instead, new feature work can begin for F19 and get ahead of
> > the game.  That's why F18 and F19 are divergent.  That's why we went
> > from a single line of development to two.
>
> But we are not doing two lines of development in systemd or GNOME or
> other upstream projects. So, why again should we build the same stuff
> twice ? I personally just don't have the time.

Honestly, the problem here doesn't really come from a model of building
for both, or only building for branched, as both are valid strategies
for a maintainer to take.

The problem came from a well-intentioned packager who happened to
choose one strategy when applying a fix, when the maintainers prefer the
other. I'm not sure how to avoid this other than having each package
speficy which it prefers (kind of messy) vs. mandating a particular style.

Bill