Re: Rawhide boot problems

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:30:10 +0200,
  Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 29.08.12 08:44, Jim Meyering (jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

So this happened because somebody updated the Rawhide package, which
disabled package inheritance from F18. I have now untagged the package
in Rawhide again, and added a notice to the .spec file so that people
don't go and blindly update the package in Rawhide, but instead just let
inheritance between F18 and Rawhide do its work.

That won't interact well with mass rebuilds.

Honestly, I think Fedora got the branches all backwards. Instead of
carrying around master all the time we should just have the version
branches and whenever somebody needs a new version branch he should just
branch of the most recent one. Right now "master" is for many packages
mostly dead territory between the time where a version got forked off
(but is not yet released) and the time where people actually start
working on the next distribution version.

I actually wish people would stop doing updates just for branched and not doing new rawhide builds. This is especially bad during freezes (and the current one has been very long), as rawhide doesn't inherit from updates-testing, so you don't automagicly get fixes. For now I have enabled updates-testing for 18 in addition to rawhide for my rawhide machine, in order to get a lot of the gnome related stuff.

I think our policy is that you should do rawhide builds, but at least some significant groups of packagers actively don't do rawhide builds. If that is going to continue, we should consider having rawhide inherit from updates-testing.