Re: redhat-lsb-desktop versus transition to current libpng

On 8/1/12 5:47 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 08/01/2012 01:06 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Well, that's really it. The format of LSB is a bit odd to a lay reader,
but AFAICT, it really does mean: to be technically in compliance with
LSB-desktop, you need to ship a libpng12.so.0 which provides the listed
functions. End of story. I don't see a workaround.

Fedora is not LSB compatible.  Is it?  Why do we even care about this at
all?

It is if you install redhat-lsb.

The only intrinsic reason to care about LSB support is binary compatibility; Fedora broadly doesn't, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful end. Personally I've definitely had occasion to need older builds of things like boost and openssl on newer Fedora releases.

repoquery is also telling me there are things in Fedora that _do_ require redhat-lsb, at least in F16. I can't speak to the particulars there, you'd need to look into that per-package.

- ajax