Re: Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Olav Vitters wrote:
> I thought the work that went into GTK+ 3.4 (GMenu) should allow Unity to
> use that functionality instead of any patches. Not 100% sure on this. It
> does require that GTK+ applications make use of GMenu (and only a few
> do). Usually when GMenu support is added you see some new entries under
> the application icon (next to Activities).

Ugh, why a new backwards-incompatible API instead of supporting this feature
required for cross-desktop interoperability in the existing one? :-( In
addition, the new API is designed to only export a single menu with a subset
of the full one, which may work for Unity, but NOT for Mac-style menus such
as the "global menu bar" widget available for KDE Plasma. Why reject a
complete solution in favor of a crippled one? :-(

        Kevin Kofler