Re: Set bash's shell option nullglob by default?

On 07/13/2012 02:19 PM, Tomas Mraz wrote:
This could cause serious surprising breakages of scripts with strange
consequences. I'm strictly against this change. If something at all
should be changed in this regard to break bad habits then it should be
the failglob option although I am not convinced that it is too good idea
either.
I was thinking about failglob also, but it is not that useful like it looks.

for name in *; do ...; done

In the current state, if there isn't any file, the name variable will contain *.
With nullglob name will be empty and script continues after the for loop.
With failglob it will print error message. I think it is not useful.

But you are right, it will cause many breakages (even surprising).

RR