Re: swapping disk with UEFI hardware - a dead end?

On Jun 28, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
> There's no way to know if a UEFI application is a boot loader.  You're as
> likely to accidentally run a firmware raid setup utility or the debug programs
> we put there with gnu-efi.

Well that seems rather limiting, and problematic.

>> I admit this strategy can also cause problems, and the UEFI spec isn't
>> particularly helpful[1] in resolving the problem of removed operating
>> systems, with residual boot loaders that point to them. But that is no worse,
>> and still likely to generate a more coherent boot loader produced "can't find
>> blah" message, than the OP's experienced rat race of an error message.
>
> The UEFI spec is in fact quite helpful, we just haven't done the thing it says
> to do yet.

The optional thing it says you may do, without saying what that is or how to do it, and doesn't require it, doesn't require the subdirectory you want to use, doesn't require it be honored, nor requires the OS vendor to do any of this.

Quite helpful.

> This is actually wrong as well.  Blessing is a property of the filesystem on
> modern macs.

It's more correct to say blessing is a property in NVRAM and the filesystem if it is HFS+. The primary mechanism is NVRAM, the fallback is in the HFS+ volume header. It used to be only a property of HFS long ago when NVRAM was tiny.

Chris Murphy