Re: swapping disk with UEFI hardware - a dead end?

On 06/28/2012 12:17 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

It is perturbing that in 2012, with a nearly 30MB operating system as a
pre-boot environment, that by design it doesn't scan the EFI System
partition for other possible boot options - like a rescue mode - in the event
efi boot variables aren't set.

Well, as a matter of fact, if you read upthread, as of 2.3.1 it launches
/boot/efi/boot${ARCH}.efi in this case.  We weren't prepared for it, and so
we're a little behind, but we've got a plan and we're going to do something
about it.

Apple hardware does just such a scan. If I blow away every bit of information
in NVRAM, the firmware still scans available disks, and chooses a reasonable
default as fallback. Even in the case when Apple's bootloader isn't present.

I bet you their reasonable default doesn't seem as good if you're normally
dual-booting and using grub to chain-load apple's loader.  I bet it's 50/50
based on some criteria we haven't tried to figure out.

So after all of this UEFI complexity and baggage, we still need rescue media
in the example case? That is unbelievably stupid. The Lenovo case is either a
bug or it's bad design or they enjoy creating user hostile hardware.

As lennart, myself, and mjg59 all made perfectly clear - this is our bug; it's
possible to do this according to spec (though it could be better), and we're
just not doing it yet.

--
        Peter