Re: Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

pvgrub peeks into the guest disk so it needs to understand the partition
table, the filesystem and the grub config file in the guest. Initially it
didn't handle things like ext4, grub2 and EFI but AFAIK these should be
fine now. I'm not sure what Amazons host systems use but hopefully they run
a relatively modern version of pvgrub.

pv-grub is basically a copy of grub1 that is loaded into the guest by the base system, so no software is needed in the guest only the configuration. I don't know what Amazon are using but there are definitely patches available that add ext4 and btrfs support. I am not aware of any grub2 patches.

This is no to be confused with pygrub, which is a python script run in the base domain. It looks into the guest file system, parses the configuration, extracts the right kernel and init file, then loads them into the guest with the relevant configuration. The latest versions of this do understand grub2 configuration and EFI.

	Michael Young