Re: Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

On 06/19/2012 07:04 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 18/06/12 21:18, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On 06/18/2012 01:43 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> what competition damned?
>>> grub is the best example for things which did not reinvented
>>>
>>> grub1 was easy to understand and configure
>>
>> And grub1 would get left behind as new filesystems come out and new
>> firmwares come out, and potentially new whole architectures come out.
>
> And what does it have to do with abhorrent configuration files. I am all
> for fancy new filesystems, but we do have to have new front-end as well?

The problem in cases like this, is that we don't really have a choice.
GRUB legacy is unmaintained and increasingly lacking in functionality
that is in GRUB2.  Since we have made a decision to switch to GRUB2, we
have to deal with the configuration format provided by upstream.  There
are only limited number of components where Fedora or Red Hat has a
significant influence and can change this.  GRUB2 isn't one of them. So
we live with the less than ideal choices at the distribution level.

Rahu