Re: changelog in spec file, was Re: Stop the git abuse

Quoting Paul Wouters (2012-05-21 02:02:23)
> On Fri, 18 May 2012, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 07:07:56PM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> >> And definitvely, for me, (and probably only for me), git is really
> >> not a good tool for spec maintenance.
> >
> > Not duplicating the changelog would help.  There's little reason to
> > have a changelog in git which is then manually copied into %changelog.
>
> Agreed. changelog and version field conflicts are 90% of my cherry-pick
> conflicts.
>
> I would be in favour of no longer maintaining a changelog in the spec file

OK. Many of us agree that rpm changelogs could be generated from git.
Now there are multiple approaches. As was said before Mageia/Mandriva
have been doing it for a while. However I dislike approach of specific
commit messages that will "remove" commit from changelog. Instead my
proposal (that I am willing to work on with relengs/infra):

 * If there is a changelog in spec we assume packager keeps its
   changelog manually so we leave it be. This gives everyone time to
   adjust as they see fit.
 * By default add every git commit message except merges to rpm changelog
   on koji. I.e. no action from packager necessary
 * If a git commit is tagged in a specific way, omit from rpm changelog.
   What I mean by "tagged" is a git tag, in form of let's say
   "silentXXX". Where XXX has to be unique, but that can be figured out by
   fedpkg easily.

The way I see it, this could be relatively painless migration where
packagers would not have to change their workflows immediately.

Does anyone have any strong opinions against this approach? Note that I
am not asking you to express your dislike for git changelog generation.
You will have time for that later for sure

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>

PGP: 7B087241