Re: libbluray soname bump

On 03/06/2012 11:49 PM, Julian Sikorski wrote:
W dniu 11.12.2011 13:01, Xavier Bachelot pisze:
Hi,

libbluray has made its first official release a few days ago. The soname
was bumped to 1.0.0 just before the release, in order to make sure it's
incompatible with older snapshots they have produced. The snapshots I've
made and packaged for Fedora are compatible with the release, so
Fedora/RPM Fusion packages should be fine after a simple rebuild.

I would like to have a clean start with this library and have the
updated package pushed to devel, but also to all currently active
releases ( F-16, F-15 and EL-6), despite the soname breakage. Now that
upstream is ready to push releases, I think it will be easier to keep
the package in good shape if we follow them.

Affected packages are as follow :

For F17 and F16 :
gvfs    (fedora)
mplayer (rpmfusion-free)
xbmc    (rpmfusion-free)

For F15 :
mplayer (rpmfusion-free)
xbmc    (rpmfusion-free)

EL-6 doesn't have any affected package.

Please let me know if you're ok with that, and I'll proceed with the
builds and the build overrides request.

Regards,
Xavier

So what happened with pushing libbluray to older Fedora branches? I am
fine with rebuilding mplayer, do other apps rebuild cleanly?

gvfs was rebuilding fine against either the older or the newer API and the maintainer was ok to rebuild.

xbmc 10.1 needed some patches. They were applied. They are not needed for xbmc 11, so depending on the version in F16 and F15, they might still need to be applied. The maintainer was ok with rebuilding too. See http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2011-December/011019.html

mplayer needed a patch too, but it wasn't applied. The patch might not be needed anymore as mplayer has been updated to a more recent snapshot. See http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2011-December/011017.html

The whole discussion is in rpmfusion-devel archives : http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2011-December/010981.html

The vlc maintainer was looking at pushing vlc 2.0 to F16 and maybe F15 too. This release can use libbluray.

For completeness, xine-lib 1.2 and xine-lib 1.1.21 can also use libbluray. 1.1.21 is not released yet and I'm not sure what the state of xine-lib in Fedora/RPM Fusion is at the moment anyway. An update to 1.2 for F17 was discussed, but this version cannot be easily split into a patent-free and a patent-encumbered package, so that will need to be in RPM Fusion and it will drag a couple other packages too.

Regards,
Xavier