Re: Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

On 01/30/2012 01:17 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:23:07 -0500
Genes MailLists<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 01/28/2012 12:23 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:15:11 -0600
Andrew Wyatt<andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

...snip...

I think the way forward is the one I outlined in:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-January/161632.html

Until those interested can organize and present a compelling case, I
fear threads like this one aren't too much use.

   Possibly - but without the support from at least some of the Fedora
core team (fesco, board, key redhatters etc) and possibly some on the
RH business side recognizing some potential benefit in the enterprise
setting, this is quite likely not to go too far .. and so far I'm not
aware of much support for this ..

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see any chance of it going
anywhere _without_ some kind of more organized and detailed plan.

   This can of course be because these key folk, after careful
consideration,  do not see it as a viable choice to make for Fedora
and/or ultimately its impact on RHEL.

   They are, after all, key players for good reason(s) ... I cannot
imagine they are not familiar with the pros/cons of such an approach.

   The benefits/drawbacks of a rolling release are rather well known
these days (notwithstanding those that somehow still believe rawhide
is a rolling release .. :-) )...

    Given that, do folks still believe it could be worthwhile for the
rolling-releasers to build a case in a wiki somewhere?

Again, speaking for myself, I don't have time or desire to go and
research rolling releases and come up with a plan. I would be happy to
look at such a plan and provide feedback.

I can think of several possible good things that could come out of a
more detailed plan:

- Perhaps you can identify some more minor change in our release setup
   that could be done to more accommodate people who like rolling
   releases.

- Perhaps the group would form up a new forked distro using rolling
   releases.

- Perhaps you could convince people that advantages of rolling releases
   are better than the disadvantages.

On the other hand, I think that the chance of any change or good coming
from prolonging this thread are slight.

kevin

I agree, its all pissing in the wind until someone takes a stand and proposes something concrete