Re: The question of rolling release?

On 01/26/2012 07:47 AM, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> I can understand exceptions for Firefox (but you don't want to switch
> to the enterprise slow release right?), and Wine, but...
>
> I've read it several times and I don't quite understand the major
> kernel version bumps.  3.2.1 just got released to Fedora 16, yet it
> started with 3.1.0.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I really like and appreciated the updates to the
> latest kernels, I just don't see how it follows the Updates Policy.

The Fedora kernel team can probably answer this better but:

"Security fixes

If upstream does not provide security fixes for a particular release,
and if backporting the fix would be impractical, then a package may be
rebased onto a version that upstream supports. The definition of
practicality is left to the judgement of FESCO and the packager."

The stable series is supposed to do this for prior version atleast for
security fixes but in practise, this doesn't work out as well and
combined Linus's sad habit of concealing security fixes and the fact
that kernel gets hundreds of bug reports requiring the maintainers to
stay close to upstream to get responsive results leaves Fedora with
rebasing as the better option.

Rahul